The TWHBEA, headquartered in Lewisburg, is the oldest and most prestigious organization devoted to the promotion of the breed. Founded in 1935, the breed registry was established to record the pedigrees of the Tennessee Walking Horse. Its goal is to maintain the purity of the breed, to promote greater awareness of the Tennessee Walking Horse and its qualities, to encourage expansion of the breed, and to help assure its general welfare.
City of Lewisburg
131 East Church St
Historic Elm Springs
2357 Park Plus Dr
Elm Springs was built by two brothers as a gift for their only sister in 1837. Named for the many elm trees and springs located on the property, this gift stands today despite almost being destroyed during the War Between the States and from neglect in the early twentieth century.
The home was purchased by the Sons of Confederate Veterans since 1992 and has served as the organization’s international headquarters since. A new multi-million-dollar museum was recently built on the property. This new building not only houses the National Confederate Museum, but also the offices of the headquarters, allowing the house to return to being a true historic site, open for tours and rentals.
ours of Elm Springs are held at the top of the hour with the first tour starting at 9 am and the last tour beginning at 3 pm and departs from the Museum Gift Shop. If you arrive between tours, feel free to browse the gift shop, walk the grounds, or visit the National Confederate Museum until your tour begins. Tours are $10.00 per person; ages 12 and younger are $5.
Sons of Confederate Veterans Headquarters/Historic Elm Springs
2357 Park Plus Dr
800-MY DIXIE (800-693-4943)
The Sons of Confederate Veterans General Headquarters, known as “Elm Springs”, is located, approximately 45 miles south of Nashville and 20 miles south of Franklin. Elm Springs is a lovely antebellum home built in 1837 by two wealthy cotton merchants from New Orleans. In 1992, it was acquired by the SCV to serve as the SCV national headquarters. “Elm Springs” is open Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. CST. The home and gift shop are closed on Sat. and Sun. The gift shop offers a wide selection of books on the Civil War. “Elm Springs” can be reserved for special events, weddings and group tours with advanced notice.
The SCV is the direct heir of the United Confederate Veterans and the oldest hereditary organization for male descendants of Confederate soldiers. Organized at Richmond, VA in 1896, the SCV serves as a historical, patriotic, and non-political organization dedicated to insuring that a true history of the 1861-1865 period is preserved.